Friday, September 16, 2011

9/16/11: The Token Female And A Shabbat Shalom

When I was a little girl I remember having Shabbat dinners both at home and at my synagogue. It is a very special time that comes around every Friday night, and I specifically remember lighting the candles and singing the prayers with my mother and sister, making Kiddish, breaking bread, and generally enjoying the ushering in of the Sabbath. Now, as I am becoming an adult myself, it is such an amazing thing to be able to experience Shabbat in a whole different way. No longer do we have our mother's and father's to light candles and say Kiddish, no longer do we have our parents to prepare Shabbos meals, no longer do we have them holding our hands and leading our ways. They have planted the foundations and seeds of Judaism in us, and now, as we enter our adult lives, it is our turn to take our Jewish traditions and make them our own so that we can pass them down to our children one day.

Tonight I was invited over to have Shabbat with Ariel, Russ, and Ben (who is back in town for two more days), and I was, of course, extremely excited to have a home cooked (compliments of Ben) Shabbat meal with great friends. Ben made an amazing lentil curry stew type concoction which filled the apartment with the most wonderful aroma, there was salad and potatoes, and, of course, lots and lots of wine! But, before any consumption of food, we had to do Shabbat properly. As the "token female" of Apartment De Ariel/Russ, it was my job to begin our pre dinner ceremony by lighting the Shabbos candles and saying the blessing. The boys all put on their Kippot, I lit the candles, said the blessing, and then Ariel took over and made Kiddish. Since Russ didn't even know what Kiddish was a week ago it was a good thing Ariel was there! After Kiddish we had to exercise some creativity because there was no Challah. We said the Mozi (prayer over the Challah) over a cold piece of pita bread and figured that, for this week, it would make due.

After the prayers were said and done we sat down to a Ben's delicious meal. It will be so sad when he leaves and won't be here to make his amazing food! Joining us for dinner were two of Ariel's Israeli friends, and we all spent hours eating, drinking, laughing, and merely enjoying one another's company. It was one of the best Shabbats I have had to date, and I don't think I have ever laughed so hard in my life. I'm the token female friend to an amazing group of gentlemen. Finally, when the clock struck 12:30, I figured I better head home or I would end up sleeping on a couch (and my bed is much more comfortable). Luckily they only live a few minutes away from me so I didn't mind the walk.

Tomorrow should be a quiet,relaxing day filled with plenty of beach time, and I'm looking forward to getting to sleep in a little bit. I haven't been sleeping so well so the ability to have a late wake up will be very nice and very welcomed.

Until Tomorrow and Shabbat Shalom Chaverim!
Jordana Simone


1 comment:

  1. Hahaha! Yes, It was one of my favorite Shabbat dinners also! Thanks for the company, and L'chaim! To many more!

    ReplyDelete