Friday, October 7, 2011

10/6/11: The Sounds Of The Middle East: A Video Tribute

Hope For The Future

Today, as I did my pre-holiday shopping and cleaning, I tried to think of what I wanted to write a post on. Since I didn't do anything of note today, I decided to share some of the amazing videos I have taken of the beautiful sounds of this intoxicating region. I hope you enjoy, and I hope you get a feel for the amazing place I get to call my home.

This video was taken during one of my many visits to Jaffa. In any area with a heavy Muslim population (Jaffa, East Jerusalem, Akko, Haifa, etc.) you can hear the call to prayer 5 or more times every day. It has become one of my absolute favorite sounds in the world, and I never cease to get the chills every time the prayers ring out for the world to hear. 


This next video was taken during a Sufi Iftar during the month of Ramadan. We had just broken the fast of the day, and I was within the walls of the old city, just feet away from the Western Wall, the Dome of the Rock, Al Aqsa, and the Temple Mount, listening to the beautiful chants of Quran verses. It was a truly authentic Middle Eastern experience, and I'm so lucky that I was apart of it. 





This last clip, for this post, is of a huge dance party right outside of the Old City; a sort of Israeli flash mob.  When I say there is never a dull moment in Israel, especially Jerusalem, I mean it. The music was fantastic, people were up and dancing, and only feet away was the entrance into the most beautiful place in the world; the Old City of Jerusalem.



Enjoy, and I am wishing everyone an easy and meaningful fast during this Yom Kippur!
Gmar Chatimah Tovah <3,
Jordana Simone


No comments:

Post a Comment