Tuesday, November 8, 2011

11/8/11: Sometimes The Bad Decisions Are The Best Ones

Club Dizengoff 

I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I have been in Tel Aviv for almost 4 months and have yet to experience this amazing night life that everyone constantly boasts about. I don't know if it was due to a lack of people to go with, or because I thought that I was above the whole "party" scene now that I'm a "serious" graduate student, but for whatever reason, it has been about 3 and a half months since I have had a night out on the town. 

Luckily for me I now live with a roommate who knows the ins and outs of Tel Aviv night life, and he and one of his friends thought it was time for me to have a proper introduction to club life in the city. I had run out of excuses of why I shouldn't go, aside from the obvious "it's a school night", but I figured if it was just this once it would be fine. Looking back on the decision now, it probably wasn't the most fantastic of ideas, since I didn't get to sleep until almost 4am and had class at 10, but I had a phenomenal time. Because it is so early in the semester, and I don't have so much work to do yet, I was somewhat able to justify going with the guys. To my family who is inevitably reading this blog, don't worry about this becoming a habit. Now that I know what it's like out there I'm comfortable with only partaking in these kinds of activities on weekends! 

I haven't dressed myself up in a long time, so I took this opportunity to go all out. My motto for the night was "go big or go home" (again, not sure how good of a decision that was seeing as I had class the next morning). We ended up at a club called Dizengoff which was a dance club playing a mix of trance-like music, some dubstep, and more traditional dance music. I spent 4 hours enjoying the ambiance of the dark room with laser light displays, amazing music, and a great atmosphere for just letting lose and dancing. After the stressful class day I had (8 consecutive hours at university) I was very grateful for this mini escape. I spent the majority of the time dancing around and trying not to lose the boys, had a few drinks (again, maybe not the greatest idea seeing as my tolerance is beyond pathetic), and really, really enjoyed myself! 

It was just another of many great nights I have had here in the apartment so far. Whether we are going out or just hanging out at home, I always have a great time with the guys. They are fantastic roommates who are starting to become great friends, and couldn't be happier that I will be living in this gorgeous apartment with them for the next year (hopefully longer)! It is a fantastic situation, and I really feel very very lucky. 

Aside from my little night time adventure, my graduate seminars are so interesting and really going very well. Aside from one professor who no one really cares for, I have the feeling that this will be a very informative and useful introductory semester. I am finally starting to narrow down ideas for my seminar research papers so I will soon be starting on some amazing research projects that I hope will prove to be as interesting as they seem fascinating. I am trying to focus all of my papers on the subjects and regions that I will be focusing my thesis on, so I will be writing many papers on various issues regarding Palestinians and various topics regarding the region and people of Jordan. I will try to make those two topics, or a combination of those two topics, fit any seminar I take so that I can pull from research I do for my papers to use for my thesis. It should all be very interesting! 

Until tomorrow :-)
Jordana Simone



No comments:

Post a Comment