Friday, December 9, 2011

12/9/11: Ooops I Did It Again...

Just another night on the town

I feel the need to preface this post by stating that I am still a serious graduate student who is having amazing experiences and adventures around Israel and the Middle East, however, these last few days I have been recapturing a part of my collegiate experience that I definitely missed out on in Berkeley; a vibrant night life. Since Ida is here I also really wanted to give her a good feel for Tel Aviv, and a taste of what it is like to be a single girl living with four men. I have quite a life here I will say that much, and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world :-). 

Last night, after a failed attempt at a day in Herzliya due to rain and awful weather, my roommate Gary had a friend who got us a table at one of the clubs in Tel Aviv. There was a group of about 12 of us, we had a small private area inside the club, and the music and drinks lasted well into the early hours of the morning. Since getting a table is a rare occasion in Tel Aviv (and quite an expensive one from what I gather), I decided this would be a good night to dress up and go all out. I bought a nice dress coat in Herzliya (a very good investment I might add), put on one of my new dresses, and was ready to start my night on the town. The boys tend to like to dress up and use costume props so we all had bunny ears and various different accessories on throughout the night. 

Dirtyyyy G and his girls  
Gary had it made that night :-) 

When we got into the club we were immediately shown to our table, got the party started straight away, and spent the next however many hours dancing, drinking, laughing, and having a great time. I realize that I might be trying to recapture days that are long behind me, but I have never really experienced going out with a group of just friends and hitting the town. Maybe this is a phase I need to get out of my system, but I feel that it is an essential part of my new life here. I mean how can having this much fun be a bad idea as long as I am still getting my work done :-), and if you are young and living in Tel Aviv then the social aspect is a must. I have honestly never had this much fun in my life, and sometimes still can't believe that this is all real. The best part about all of this is that I am starting this new life entirely on my own, and that makes this whole experience and situation a million times better and more meaningful. 

Dancing the night away  
We are a crazy group 

God bless France??

Stephan might as well be a roommate

I feel like life is so different here in Israel. In the States people live to work, but here people definitely work to live, and live well. There is such an importance put on down time, time with friends, family time, play time, that work seems so secondary. Sure everyone wants to be successful, but that isn't the only way to be happy here. You only have one life so you might as well enjoy it, and I feel that is a philosophy that I have adopted quite well :-). Of course I still want to save the world, and plan on doing so, but I might as well have some fun along the way! Lamah Lo? (why not). 

Now that Ida has been here almost a week I feel that things will settle down a bit. Sure we will probably do some more going out but we are also heading to Netanyah on Sunday, and Jerusalem and the West Bank next weekend. I am so so so beyond excited to take Ida to Jerusalem and the West Bank, and am so curious to see how it will be for a 5'1 blond female in Arab East Jerusalem and Palestine. I feel it will definitely be a blog worthy experience :-). 

Until we meet again <3,
Jordana Simone





No comments:

Post a Comment