Friday, January 6, 2012

1/6/12: Happy Birthday To ME!!!! Celebrating 24 As An Expat :-)

Finally 24!! 

It seems, at least to me, that after 21 people don't really look forward to tacking on additional years to the description of their age. Before 21 people can't wait to say that they are older, for example, when I was 20 if someone would ask "How old are you?" I would respond "I am 21 in 3 months (or however many months). Now people ask me how old I am and I say 21 + a few years :-) However, I have heard from many people, both older and wiser than myself, that 24 is one of the greatest years, and I must admit that my first day as a 24 year old has proven that this might, in fact, be true! 

Anyone who knows me knows that I really don't put overwhelming importance on holidays, but when it comes to my birthday I tend to place great emphasis on the day. Birthdays are very important to me for whatever reason. Luckily this just happened to be a birthday where everything, by the grace of God, fell into perfect place. I have never really had an actual birthday party, and in the past it has really only been little get togethers with friends, so as a newly, self proclaimed, Tel Avivit, I knew I had to do something worthy of the day ;-). My wonderful roommate Gary happened to know a promoter at one of the clubs that I love and she took great care of me the whole night. I was given a table, 2 bottles of champagne, and unlimited amounts of fun for a relatively low cost. But before we got to the club I decided to host a little pre party at my apartment.

My balcony and view that I love to show off 

After taking an inordinate amount of time to get myself ready and get the apartment cleaned, I was finally able to relax a little bit before everyone arrived around 9:45. There was a great mix of people from my program and friends from Israel, and I had so much fun showing off the apartment and getting the celebrations going. After about an hour or so of pre-partying we all headed out to the club MAD for the party to begin. We entered the club just in time for the clock to strike midnight which signaled the official start to my birthday! It was an extra special occasion because a guy from my class was born on the 6th as well so we were able to double the celebration. It was a wild night of dancing and partying but I had one of the best nights in Israel thus far. I had such an amazing time with everyone who came out, and am so thankful that so many people were there to make this an extremely special birthday.  It was also good that I planned to have the party the night of the 5th because that meant that the next day was still "my day"! 

Needless to say I did not get much sleep, but nonetheless I woke up around 9am for an hour long spoken Arabic lesson. How I pulled that off I have no idea, but I had the lesson, came back home, went back to bed for a little while, and enjoyed a nice relaxing day of being completely spoiled by my amazing roommates (Bar, Ben's girlfriend, is included when I say roommates). Firstly Ben and Bar cleaned the apartment (which should have been my responsibility since it was my day on floors and I hosted a party last night), then they made pizza for lunch (which was amazing since I have no food), then I was surprised with a gorgeous birthday cake and beautiful present from both Ben and Bar (although I have to solely credit Bar with the cake making), and then my roommate Morgan cooked me an incredibly delicious birthday dinner! It was really a perfect day and Bar, Ben, Morgan, and another friend of mine who went out of his way to come out with me for my birthday made it a million times more special. 

My beautiful cake and bracelet from Ben and Bar

Morgan's 5 star birthday dinner 

I really couldn't have asked for a better birthday, and so far 24 has proven to be quite the amazing age (though I've only had a day to enjoy it so far :-p). This year is bringing many new things for me from a master's degree, to Israeli citizenship, to a new home, new life, and new friends, so I really don't see how this can be anything but one of the greatest, and most adventurous years! 

Until we meet again <3,
Jordana Simone




No comments:

Post a Comment