Thursday, September 13, 2012

9/13/12: My Sweet Desert!

Beautiful Palm Springs 

Well it has been almost 3 days that I have been home and I'm praying that my jet lag will soon subside. Between falling asleep around 7:30-8, to waking up between 2 and 4am, I'm a bit tired of being tired... all the time! Aside from my slight sleeping problem, however, it feels great to be back home with family and friends. It's amazing how I can be gone for so long and return to everything virtually unchanged.

My first actual day at home, after suffering from an awful night, post travel, sleep, I went with my sister to run a much needed, essential, errand. I FINALLY replaced my lost iPhone, and felt like a whole person again! Needless to say it is no shock that I spent about 3 hours playing with Siri and telling my phone to do anything and everything. I even took the 5 or so French phrases I know, changed my Siri to French, and had fun being a complete idiot. Who knows, maybe one day (with the help of Steph) I'll be able to talk to my phone in French... It's a goal anyways!

That night my family and I went to one of my favorite Palm Springs restaurants for a kind-of welcome home dinner. Really the reason I wanted to go to California Pizza Kitchen was less for the pizza and more for the fact that they have AMAZING ranch dressing that I have been craving since I moved to Israel. When our waiter came over I pretty much demanded he bring bowls of ranch so that I would ensure I wouldn't run out... can you say obsessed!! It was the perfect first meal out, however the food coma sent me to sleep around 8:30 at night... not so fun. Luckily Australia is 17 hours ahead because when I woke up at 1:45 I spent the next hour and 15 minutes of awakeness talking to Stephane. I couldn't think of a better way to pass the time :-)

Hello Ranch Dressing!! How I have missed you! 
The next day, after yet another rough night sleep, I was lucky to be able to spend a wonderful afternoon with one of my best and dearest friends. She and I met 7 years ago when we competed in a scholarship competition, and we have been the closest of friends ever since. We are even considered sisters as we share membership to the same sorority (though she went to a far worse university than I did :-p) It was a perfect afternoon spent catching up on one another's lives, talking about work, jobs, boys (most importantly), and everything else you can imagine! After lunch I went to see my grandparents for a quick visit and was very happy to see that they are both doing very well! I will be spending a lot of time with them while I am home which will be very lovely.

Stephanie and me! 
That night I slept a bit better but still fell asleep around 8:30... Unfortunately now that I'm 17 hours behind Australia it is up to me to make the goodnight phone calls (despite the fact that I hate being the "caller"), only I keep falling asleep before I can get to the phone! Even though it was only 1 night I didn't get to hear his voice I really didn't like it so much. I know it is silly but since I can't see him for so long I really look forward to my daily phone call (even if I have to be the one to call)!

Today was quite relaxing, and I'm happy to say that I was less tired since I slept until 10am despite being woken up at 3:45 by my dog who decided he would have a barking fit just for fun. I met with Stephanie one last time for a quick coffee before she returns to Los Angeles, had fun goofing around with family, and am resting up before meeting with another one of my best girlfriends tonight for some much needed wine, chocolate, and sex and the city!

My 4 legged brother! 

Mommy and me! 

We are such crazy kids 

Muzzy and me! 


This weekend starts the Jewish high holidays and I'm so excited to be able to spend it with family; it has been about 5 years since I have been home for the entirety of the holidays. I won't deny that I am very sad about being away from Israel, especially during the Jewish high holidays, but I take comfort in the fact that in 5 short weeks I will be back home. In other news, my amazing Uncle comes in tomorrow for the weekend so that is going to be great fun and another reason that I am very excited to be home! There is never a dull moment when my Uncle Scott is involved. Stay tuned for updates on the holidays and my dealings in the desert!!

Until we meet again <3,
Jordana Simone 

No comments:

Post a Comment